Ep 7. Ayako Ebata & agricultural economics; report to the UN secretary on AMR; targeted killing in bacteria.
Welcome back to the AMR Studio. This month we bring you an insightful conversation with Dr. Ayako Ebata, from the Institute of Development Studies. She is an agricultural economist that has recently been working across Asia, mostly in Myanmar and India understanding the antibiotic market situation in the agricultural sector. In our news section we talk about the recent report on AMR released to the UN secretary; and about a super cool paper looking into selective killing of pathogenic and resistant bacteria.
You can follow us and subscribe to our podcast to get new episodes directly in your preferred device and platform:
or you can listen to our seventh episode right here:
- Institute of Development Studies: global research and learning organisation for equitable and sustainable change.
- Report to the secretary of the United Nations.
- Summary of key messages and recommendations.
- U.N. Issues Urgent Warning on the Growing Peril of Drug-Resistant Infections. New York Times article about the report.
- Engineered toxin–intein antimicrobials can selectively target and kill antibiotic-resistant bacteria in mixed populations. Original article on Nature Biotechnology journal.
- A new bacteria-killing weapon in the fight against antibiotic resistance. Press coverage of the above article.